Building Rungs: The Landing Page, Part Two
This post is a continuation of the “Building Rungs” series. The first post is here.
In the previous post I went through the process of setting up my new domain name, rungsapp.com. I spent a little bit of time customizing it, but there are still a few things left to do:
- Make sure that my MailChimp integration works, since the landing page was previously being used on rungs.me
- Grab a Twitter Handle
- Install FontAwesome and update the landing page template a little
MailChimp integration is for the following reason. There will be a period of time when I want to sort of tease my audience by letting them know that the app is forthcoming. Some people will want to get notified when it actually launches (who really wants to check back on a landing page all the time?) and one great way to do this is with email lists. I’m a big fan of MadMimi and MailChimp but I happen to be using MailChimp for this particular project.
I’ve already set up a MailChimp list, but I’m pretty sure it’s URL-specific, which means the list is expecting to receive email addresses from a specific domain name (rungs.me, not rungsapp.com). After testing this theory on the MailChimp form on rungsapp.com, it turns out I’m wrong. Registering for alerts worked despite the domain change. I did notice, however, that the email list is signed “Rungs.me” (as if that is the company name), so I think I want to change that to “Rungs”, which I can do by logging into MailChimp and doing some stuffs. After completing that, it’s time to move on to grabbing a Twitter handle.
I wrote a bit about social media accounts in a previous post in the series. Right now the landing page invites visitors to follow me on twitter, but perhaps that should really display what will ultimately be the Rungs handle on Twitter. I grabbed the Twitter handle and updated the landing page’s code.
The last issue I have with this page is that the Twitter link is represented by an outdated Twitter logo. I have an appreciation for proper branding practices so I want to use the most recent Twitter logo. An easy way to do this would be to install FontAwesome and use their Twitter icon in place of this old image-based logo that I’m using. But, as much as I would like to install FontAwesome and do it that way, I’m tired and instead will just replace the image. I’m sure I’ll have a chance to write about FontAwesome in the future (I did write a bit about it before), so don’t worry about that.
Now that I have a domain name and Twitter set up, I feel ok about mentioning the project here or there as it may come up. And now it’s on to the important part: making the MVP.