Building Rungs: The MVP, Part Three (Design Tweaks)
This post is a continuation of the “Building Rungs” series. The first post is here.
So the MVP is up. It’s a functional countdown timer that let’s you know when the next day is going to start. Thanks to some great friends who tested the site in California and Israel (I’m in EST right now), it seems to work well in various time zones. So what’s next? First, some design tweaks and maybe an additional feature or two. Then, gathering some user feedback.
Here are the changes I have in mind:
- Better mobile responsiveness. As it stands now, everything looks fine on a phone,
except the background image doesn’t fit well on small screens(Done!). Also, the timer gets stacked on small screens, not sure if it should be a smaller, vertical version. Background images that make sense(Done!). The current background image is from the template that came with the timer. I want something a bit more uplifting
- Even better would be to have random background images, from an array
- Even better would be if those random background images were always relevant to the time of day, so a series of arrays
- Inspirational quotes
- Even better would be inspirational quotes that link to inspirational resources
- Update: I started gathering some quotes. I’ll save the details for a different post.
- Progress bar
- A bar that goes across the screen to show how much of the day has passed
- Circular progress bars/tickers that go around each number
It’s tough to limit things to an MVP level when there are so many other features that I have in mind, but here are three reasons to hold off:
- I don’t actually know what people want, which may be totally different from what I think they want
- I don’t know if this project is worth the time and effort, so I don’t want to invest too much time in it right now
- This is a project (one that I plan on open-sourcing) not a startup, so I have the luxury of taking things slowly